Legal process and balance of funds
Donor Selection: Phase 4
- Once your doctor medically clears your Donor after meeting with her, you will begin the legal process. If you do not have an attorney you are working with, your Egg Donation, Inc. case manager will be glad to refer one to you with a background in reproductive medicine. We will request that legal retainers be sent to you.
- We will assign a separate attorney to your Egg Donor to review the contract with her so there is no conflict of interest.
- As your Donor has been medically cleared, the balance of your trust funds is due for your Egg Donor cycle.
- Before your doctor can start the Donor on medication, all funds must be in and the legal process must be completed. Your attorney will draft an Egg Donor Agreement between you and your Donor. An independent attorney will represent your Donor and work with your lawyer to finalize all outstanding legal issues. Your attorney will also discuss with you the disposition of any cryopreserved embryos. Usually, the Recipient Couple freezes and stores any unused embryos until they have completed their family. You will be asked to decide what to do with the embryos in the event of divorce or death.
- Upon receipt of all signed contacts, your attorney issues a legal clearance letter, enabling your doctor to begin the medical cycle.